Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Aylesbury Street, MK



Milton Keynes, supposedly the city of the car, because you are in a mess if you don't have one. Appropriately the first Aylesbury that I have visited which I have driven myself to, what fun!.
A light sunny January morning, I packed my camera and got some maps together and set off from Aylesbury, for Aylesbury. I decided to go on the back roads on the way there, through Winslow and up into Milton Keynes through Stony Stratford. On the way I saw quite a few birds of prey, went past the house Tony Blair was reportedly intrested in buying and, for the sake of local residents, thankfully didn't. I travelled through some chocolate box villages like Thornton and Beachampton which maintained their rural attributes.
I arrived in Aylesbury around lunchtime to find it part of the old Milton Keynes, the old town of Wolverton. It was a one way street of red brick terraced houses, terraced cars and narrow pavements. It is a very long straight street with little alleyways giving access to back gardens along overgrown passages.



A group of pensioners passed the day in the square with a small parade of shops. There was a Milton Keynes Christian Foundation Centre there, where all Milton Keynes Christians are started off. I looked through the window expecting to see trenches and pile engineers, there weren't any, but there was a creche with a pile of Duplo bricks, so clearly the foundations of Milton Keynes Christians begin with something different, not bricks and mortar, a good way to build your church.
I left Aylesbury Street and set off to Milton Keynes shopping centre, on the way courteously let through a narrow gap in the parked cars by a kind lady and given a free parking ticket by a different kind lady. I set off to the Sony Centre to see what they could do about my handycam's active interface shoe and its lack of a microphone. Clearly being Sony, they don't even sell an adaptor for the handycam and you have to buy a seperate mic with a special socket for about £70. How wonderfully incompatible, they clearly think they are special.
So having saved money by not buying anything, I drove home. I went the main road route this time, via the Linslade bypass which has no hard shoulders, a very dangerous thing methinks, especially as people go very fast down that road. No excuses really, they took long enough to build it. I think the council should ask for their money back. I got home and had beetroot and venison, which is great going for a leftovers meal.

No comments: