Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Beer for Brains

This is my 1st international Aylesbury, in the country of Wales, a country which uses beer as a synonym for brains, similar to the idea that “wine makes mummy clever”, possibly a reason why it never really expanded. Incidentally a Norwegian guy discovered that alcohol had a negative effect on scientific output, that is, that the more you drink the less papers you will publish.
I was there because of a friend’s stag weekend, who had decided to go to the Brecon Beacons for a jolly. I drove up on the Friday picking up a guy called Charlie from his home in Amersham and made it to Cardiff by 8:30pm and met up with several other people from Dave’s past and present. We went for a curry selecting the place from a wide variety of Cardiff’s many curry houses and takeaways. In the takeaway, we noticed several interesting articles in the local paper including “man caught driving without a licence gets 2 month driving ban” How does that work, if you don’t have a licence, you aren’t allowed to drive anyway. Also, “streaker seen in pay and display”. Need I explain more?
We woke up the next morning and I realised I did not know where this Aylesbury was in the city so asked Dave if I could look it up. Charlie was vaguely interested and described my search as “something to do before I die”. Clearly a good strategist when it comes to planning, transport is usually difficult for dead people. I worked out where in Cardiff was and that it would work out if I went whilst going home, so I safely stowed my directions in my bag.
We set off to the Brecon beacons hopelessly lost and took a most meandering route to the campsite, randomly arriving before some of the others due to the wonders of Chris’s map reading and navigational skills. The campsite owner was most hospitable and understanding of us. He said that in the previous stag do a guy had tried to hit him with a baseball bat, but couldn’t because he had tied him to a bench, so we knew we were safe, there clearly weren’t enough benches. Dave’s housemates made a tonne of sandwiches for us. We had a wail of a time; we went for a walk and ended up climbing up a mountain. This was a tiring type of mountain that kept having false tops, so that when you hit one, you could see another a distance away. Once we all reached the top we made human pyramids, getting really organised, we were two people away from the 15 man pyramid, but managed the 10 man pyramid perfectly OK.
Once we had got down the mountain, we got down to doing a BBQ, playing touch rugby, having a bonfire, basically a great time to catch up with people and get to know new friends.
The next morning we did sausages and bacon, got packed up and drove up to a reservoir. I got the car stuck on a steep incline but Charlie rescued me from the slope, hill starts back in Aylesbury never were that bad. When we got to the reservoir we had an early morning dip in the chilly waters. The water was so cold that plunging in made you want to shiver all over and keep moving so your muscles did not seize up. After several jumps into the lake we made our moist way home to Cardiff, soggy shorts successfully flying out the window.
We had lunch in the pub up the road from Dave’s house and thought about going home. I posited my plan to go to an Aylesbury and one individual, who shall not be named, claimed Aylesbury is the worst place in the world! Clearly they were unenlightened and at some point will see the error of their ways.
Charlie and Chris joined our merry jaunt as we set off on our way home, beautiful sunshine, groovy music, party time. We got off the dual carriageway and went down a welsh sounding, Pantmawr Road and then on to lots of roads called Park something: Park Road, Park Lane, Park Crescent and Park Park Park.
On the right was a set of shabby flats, clearly not even a mansion, despite the label of Aylesbury Mansions, let alone several. Both lads were keen to get going, so I quickly got a photo and we got out of there ASAP. Oh what a good way to round off the weekend. I dropped Chris in Bristol and Charlie in Amersham and got home through the fairly heavy Sunday afternoon traffic. Good job well done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

roper - there is an aylesbury in South Africa and they have even named their best icecream after our mighty town!!!

Carl

Ropertron said...

Thanks Carl,

I knew they had Aylesbury Icecream in SA as every S African I have met tells me about it. Apparently it is more like Iced yoghurt and is manufactured by Parmalat.
If you see any other Aylesburys out there please do tell me.

Roper