Sunday, March 22, 2009

Aylesbury Derby

March, beautiful sunshine spring has truly sprung. It was Saturday and on for the long drive up to Derby, I was on the road by 08:30 watching the sun burn through the light golden haze in the sky. The run was good and getting there was easy. One small problem was that my Sat Nav device had been set up for Afikaans as the voice, which I don’t speak, unsurprisingly. One thing I noticed about the Afrikaans, was that the voice was very well done and had a considerate tone to it, much more preferable to the harsh instructive tones of the English voice. Perhaps I could try out other voices in the future and see which are nicer to listen to, then learn that language and its directions.
The reason why I was in Derby was for a preparation day for X:Site at Spring Harvest in Skegness Butlins in April, a week of fun activities for 8-11 year olds. The team were all nice people and I think a lot was achieved and made clearer that day. I certainly left with a list of things which I needed to have a look at and get on with.
After the day was finished at around 1600, I set off for the Aylesbury Avenue in Chaddeston, Derby.
The street was quiet, deserted except for a friendly Manx cat which seemed very lonely and was happy to say hello.

This Aylesbury seems to be named after Aylesbury, the place. All the streets around are other place names in the UK and I can find no link to another set of data, or a list of names.
There is a new development which kind of scuppers the whole taking pictures of Aylesbury as places and that is Google’s Street view. For example here is the Streetview in Google, compared to my photo. Now in future I will need to make sure myself is in the photo or take something of mine to put in the photo too. Everything becomes slightly more complex. That’s normal.


No comments: