Monday, April 20, 2009

Skeggy Aylesbury

Spring Harvest happens every year in various Butlins holiday camps around the UK. It is not a place where the UK’s farmers bring their crops of newly sprung springs for testing and grading, but a Christian holiday week with lots of bible teaching, worship and fun for people of all ages and abilities.
This was my 1st time to Skegness and my 1st time as to spring harvest except a visit as a child. This is really a follow on from the previous Aylesbury find as I was in Derby because there was a preparation day for this event there and I was doing the visuals for the X:site team who were running the 8-11s programme.
Spring Harvest is a very well established event and getting up to speed with it is impossible in a short space of time. Lots of people all turn up all at once and get very busy instantaneously, like a hive of ants. There was me after a 3 hour car journey cast into the hasty setup day not a clue where I was to sleep, if I was going to sleep, where to eat, when to eat, trusting that somewhere in the huge organism someone would have remembered me and sorted those things out. Luckily they had and although the first day was hectic and I didn’t stop until midnight sorting visuals out it all worked smoothly and all was OK.
Wednesday afternoon, I had time off and took the opportunity to visit this Aylesbury. Over lunch, I told my room mate Simon about my search and I think he took it rather well, although he was not really keen to join me on the pleasant jolly into Skegness. He asked if I had heard of Dave Gorman, which I have and think he is a very good comedian with a good friendly humour, looking for the eccentric, unusual and ultimately good in human nature. When I told Simon about the spread sheet, he was most amused, can’t think why?
After lunch I set off to find Aylesbury Drive in Beacon Park Skegness. It is in a place where there are lots of bungalows and I saw a few elderly residents and some young couples with children. It is a nice estate, well ordered and with lots of neatly kept gardens and large amounts of gravel and low maintenance gardens. There are several large ponds which the houses sit around and that is where this Aylesbury gains its name as part of the local bird population or Kingfisher, Mallard and Swan, the Aylesbury Duck connection is there once again. I had a little wonder up and down the road and observed the little pieces of kitch garden statuary and ornaments and thought what a thoroughly nice place to live. Despite the rather confusing signage, clearly designed to baffle everyone.

I continued to Skegness beach and enjoyed paddling in the sea, the first time this year and trying to take pictures of the large off shore wind farm, occasionally catching a glimpse of the turbines through the haze.
The rest of the week was very busy and ultimately can be considered a great success. At the end I was given a ‘geek of the week’ award, I can’t put my finger on the reason though. Perhaps some things will remain a mystery.

No comments: